Friday, July 31, 2009

Creature from the Glacial Lagoon


We set out this morning on foot. Walking a pleasant trail through groves of birch trees, we made our way down the valley to Terskol. From there we turned up a side valley and began climbing alongside a glacial stream. It was sunny and warm, ideal treking weather. About an hour up the valley Ankita pulled up lame. An old running injury had resurfaced in the form of progressively worse pain in the arch of one foot. It was decided Mike would see her back to the hotel while the rest of us pressed on under the leadership of our Russian Guide, Alex. Though we never reached the glacier itself, we did make it up to 9,400 feet for some acclimatization and spectacular views. On the way back we crossed the runoff stream again, hopping from rock to rock. Unfortunately, I slipped as I attempted to hard stick the landing on one rock and fell in on the downstream side. The good news is the pool I fell into was deep enough to break my fall. The bad news is that it was deep enough for me to go completely under, pack and all. Dear Friends (as Alex is prone to saying), I hope to tell you that water was cold. Really really cold. I emerged uttering the most primal of word choices. But it was a warm day and my companions were jovial. So, not wishing to be a kill-joy, I laid my clothes out to dry on the rocks and we enjoyed hot tea. Then I changed into a spare outfit Alex had in his pack. Now we are back in Azau. We will meet for dinner soon, then pack for the move tomorrow up to the barrel huts at 12,000 feet. It's getting close!

No comments:

Post a Comment